Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Becker Collage's 2013 Game Jam: Part 1

I went to Becker College's 2013 Game Jam this past Saturday. I was invited by Breeze Grigas, a student at Becker College and a friend I met from one of the 24 Hour Comic Book Marathons at the Worcester Art Museum. He has created a tabletop game of his own called Project AEGIS. I had a really good time working on creating a card game in 24 hours with two other people in a group. There were plenty of other things going on since we had access to computers.

My main job was drawing up pictures for the cards after we discussed the rules for the game and how many cards we would require. Our group was assigned to create a card game based on water and Kaiju, Japanese giant monsters. I really enjoyed sketching these creatures. I might even fine tune some of these sketches and use them for my web comic at some point.


Here is a sketch of a phoenix and a alligator and a lobster hybrid.


Here is a sketch of a dragonfly monster with a scorpion tail and tentacles as well as a beast I refer to as the Jersey Devil.


Here's a sketch of a giant robot and a snail monster.


Here's a sketch of a twisted version of a Venus fly trap and a slime monster.

  

Here's a sketch of a Kraken and a hydra. I based the Kraken mainly on a sperm whale and I gave the hydra a turtle shell.

 Here is a sketch of a bee, a fish, a clam, and a seahorse. They all have some strange aspects about them, but I considered these the smallest creatures for the game.
These were sketches for certain affect cards in the game.


Here's a sketch of a cybernetic shark and a sting ray spliced with an octopus.


Here's more sketches for certain affect cards in the game.

There was some food brought for everyone participating, though many people brought extra knowing the food would only last a while. People took naps whenever they could.

This was one of the most experiences I have had in a while where I had been able to run off of about 3 hours of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment