Monday, January 23, 2012

Minotaur


Here is my version of a mythical beast, the minotaur. I was thinking that I wanted this creature to stand out from other versions, so I decided that I would not simply make it half man, half bull. This creature is half bull, half gorilla. I think that making these creatures part gorilla is a big improvement over being part man. A single man is not that strong. A man is weak, fragile, and slow compared to most animals on this planet. The only reason our species has become this dominant is because of our ability to make and use tools in order to survive. Without tools or the thumbs we need in order to use the tools, our species would most likely have died off over a millennial ago.

I know in the earliest of Roman legends, the minotaur was just a man with the head of a bull that ate people who entered the labyrinth. In much more recent years, the designs for this creature have evolved. People have began to give this creature bull's legs and a tail. I am just bringing it one step closer. Many designs show minotaurs as these strong hulks compared to man, but why should I base these creatures on the features of fragile man? A gorilla has stronger arms, can run faster using its enormous forearms, naturally has fur to cover it's body, and has fangs that would help suggest that these creatures would be able to eat men.

I wanted to bring out some features of both gorilla and bull throughout the entire form. I gave the creature hybrid legs with the combination of hooves and toes, tried to work in the gorilla's wide eye sockets, the hump like form of the gorilla's neck, and a few other features. I was thinking of giving this creature a thicker, stronger tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment