Friday, October 19, 2012

Supernatural

I had finished watching "Samurai 7" on Netflix not too long ago. It was a good series, though I felt like certain things could have been improved upon. For instance, there were no flashbacks to the lives of any of the characters. We got little bits and pieces of some of the characters' pasts, but not enough to explain more for their actions. Some series do not require that much back story for their characters, but I liked a bunch of these characters and I would have liked to know more. There were other things, but I wanted to write about a different series.

(This image is from supernaturalfansonline.com)

I started watching "Supernatural" on Netflix not too long ago. I know it isn't an Anime series, but I haven't found any others on Netflix that I haven't already seen or want to see right now. I have seen a few episodes here and there from time to time, but I wanted to see it from the beginning and in proper order. I recently saw a commercial for the seventh season of this series, so I hope it won't take me too long to finish. I am currently on the second season, and I have to say it is really good.

(This image is from fanpop.com)

"Supernatural" is a show that primarily follows these two brothers who travel the country to hunt spirits, demons, and evil creatures that threaten the lives of innocent people. In that description it reminds me of Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," of which both are really good series. Though in "Supernatural" it seems more realistic. The monsters they hunt usually take human forms and demons usually possess people, so after these brothers kill something there won't be any trace of any evidence that these things exist that would be found by normal authority figures. However, I do like the unusual makeup art that transforms people into different species altogether, but calling them demons if they are not from Hell seemed a little odd. This series also plays a lot on folklore that has been passed around for generations, which helps them defeat the evil entities they come across.

What I really like are the characters of this series, and not just the brothers. The brothers are really enjoyable to watch as they argue and have fun at each others' expenses, but there are all sorts of reoccurring characters that are very interesting. If you like paranormal shows, I highly recommend this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment