Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Strangely enough, after viewing the first few episodes of "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" on Netflix, I have been watching the rest of season one in order as well. I still have to watch season 2. I do not have access to the Hub, so I am forced to watch this series through other means.

Sure, the numerous animated "My Little Pony" television shows before this latest version were extremely girly and ridiculously simple minded, but this show is by far a greater creation. Lauren Faust has brought individuality to each interesting character, intriguing and funny stories, and very smart moral values. It is surprising how she managed to turn this little girl's show into something that more audiences can enjoy.

From a 2D Flash animator's perspective, this show has some really talented animators. The movement at times is reminiscent to the animated show "Word Girl," but at other times there are some impressive aspects to the animation. To everyone who has worked on this I say well done.

There maybe a few odd things to criticize about this show, like how it is possible for ponies to be the dominant species in this world when they have no fingers to make tools humans can. But those are very minor.

I do not understand the entire "Brony" craze where people criticize full grown males for liking this television show. There are plenty of really good animated television shows from all eras that still have fans to this day. I suggest everyone try watching this show. I know many fans tend to have a favorite character among the main cast of ponies, Pegasuses, and unicorns. But I have a hard time deciding, because they each have some interesting aspects. I'm just glad this show managed to incorporate other mythological creatures like dragons, hydra, griffins, cockatrice, and other interesting creatures.

I also watch "Transformers Prime", which is also really good, but I will post about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment