Monday, May 6, 2013

Free Comic Book Day! May 4th 2013


This past Saturday, May 4th was Free Comic Book day again! Again I had to wait until after I got out of work in order to stop by That's Entertainment to look at the selection of free comic books. I was very surprised that there was such a large selection this year! I don't know if I missed out on the selections in the past and was stuck with only a few choices because of that, but I saw at least three sections of comic books with over six comic books each. One of the sections was for young children, one was for teenagers, and one was for mature adults.

There was a free The Walking Dead comic book available. It contained a segment from the a Walking Dead comic book I already own, and a few other segments from the other comic books. As far as I can tell, compared to the television show, the comic book likes to follow more characters other than the main protagonist. That is one of the reasons why the comic books and the television show are so different, because certain things are able to be done in graphic novels that are not able to be done on television. Who thought Image comic books would have ever come out with something good besides Spawn?

There was also this Wolverine comic book. I would expect to see more mature rated comic of Wolverine considering he has sharp claws made out of the strongest metal there is. He can not just slash through machines all the time, he must have to use his claws against humans and mutants.

It was interesting to read through the stories in Raymayan. There appears to be various artists and styles within this comic book company, Graphic India, that all work on stories surrounding a few certain characters. You don't often see that for any series, at least not for numerous years after a few reboots.

I really liked the free comic book Radical. It contained parts of graphic novel stories, some based on well known stories of old like Aladdin and Hercules, but these pages don't have any speech bubbles whatsoever. It just contains images, very well crafted images of the stories. I'm guessing this company prefers people to see the beautiful artwork rather than text. I am not complaining!
It was surprising to read Soleil. Apparently Marvel comics is publishing comic books from Europe, but translated into English for an American audience who probably has never seen. There are some very unique styles and stories here, and I am interested to read more of some of this!








There were a few other comic books that I was also interested in reading, but I could only get 5 free ones. There was a Mega-man comic book, Star Wars Comic book, Tomb Raider comic book, a Green Lantern Comic book, and a few others that peeked my interest. If you were able to get some free comics this past Saturday, hopefully you got some interesting ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment