Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anime Boston Artist Alley & New Mass Tax Law

There is a strange thing about Anime Boston's Artist's Alley this year. Apparently they had to send an email to all sign ups for the Artist's Alley that they have to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS and then register it with the state of Massachusetts. So far it has really been a hassle for the organizers of Anime Boston and a number of people have cancelled their tables for the Artists' Alley this year.

I find this hard to believe because the tables at Anime Boston can not truly be considered a business. There are very few if any people who can actually make a decent living from selling art at conventions of any kind. I know when I had an Artist Alley table before that it was hard to sell much of anything to the public. We can not be considered a business and we could never consider ourselves employers because we can't possibly hire anyone to work for us. Unless if we set up an art studio and sell artwork for a living outside of Anime Boston, than we can probably be considered employers, but not everyone who gets an Artist Alley table can do that.

I will still try to get an Artist Alley table space. I think I will also go to other conventions, and they might require EIN's now with this strange law in effect. I just hope I don't get screwed by the government in the end for this.

Also, this month I will be working on another 11 second animation. I have not heard the audio clip from the club website, but I hope it will be in English this time. I don't have anything against other languages, it is just that I think it will be easier to animate if I can understand what is being said.

No comments:

Post a Comment