Monday, March 26, 2012

The Hunger Games and Other Movies

My friend brought me to see the movie the Hunger Games this past Saturday. It was ridiculous trying to find a movie theater that wasn't entirely sold out. I had no idea that this was a very popular book among teenage girls when I saw the trailer. It wasn't until I saw a video on Youtube that I found out that it was the first book of a trilogy.


(This image is from goodreads.com.)

Before the movie started, we did manage to make it in time to watch some previews for some other movies that are going to come out. One movie is the last Twilight movie. I do recall a lot of people groaning in the audience. I will be happy when this stupid franchise is forgotten. I have not read or seen it, but I am convinced never to unless I am watching the movies with the Rifftrax playing in the background making fun of it.

There was also a trailer for a new movie called "Snow White and the Huntsman" which looked like an interesting style to the Snow White fairy tale, "The Amazing Spider-Man" reboot that I am looking forward to, a new comedy with Chris Rock in a group of fathers of babies that was not funny at all, and a new Tim Burton movie where Johnny Depth plays a vampire. This summer might have a few good movies, but will still be pretty weird.

As for this new movie, I did enjoy it. I enjoyed a bunch of the concepts and the message this story was getting across. There were a few problems here and there though. What little CGI they used was not done very well, there wasn't anything special to the action sequences, it was confusing as to where this event takes place (maybe it is explained in the book), and there may have been a few too many shots of the main character on her own which could get a little dull. Other than that, it has things I have not seen before.

 I have heard rumors of this story being compared to Twilight, but I fail to see much of a comparison from what I have seen and heard of from the series and movies. Besides, this story focuses on a future society that has gotten out of hand, not about a love story that starts from absolutely nothing and has no reason to exist.

I have heard of other comparisons of this movie to others of a similar story line like "Battle Royal." I will have to check that movie out and make that judgement for myself.

From what I sense, this movie will appeal to females more than males, children should not watch it unless if they need to be taught that violence has consequences, and that there is definably going to be squeals.

No comments:

Post a Comment