Monday, May 7, 2012

Last Saturday, the 5th of May, was Free Comic Book Day. It was a day where you could walk into just about any store that sells comic books and select up to six comic books to get for free. There were designated, short comic books as part of larger series that were being given away for free, but this was a great way to get new readers for comic books. I stopped by That's Entertainment in Worcester and picked up a specific six comic books. I had to go after work, so there were few choices left, but there were still some pretty decent comic books. At the store, there were also some illustrators, like David Wenzel, sitting at tables in the room where you could get the comics. I found that to be a neat surprise!


There was one comic book that had two main stories with the title posted on both the front and back of the comic book.

I originally was just getting the comic book because of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" comic within it. I watched quite a bit of the series after my sister got addicted to it. Seriously, she has the whole entire DVD collection! This comic was pretty funny despite the serious tone of the series. I think the people behind this took advantage of their freedom for the storyline.

The other comic was "The Guild" which I was surprised to find out it was hilarious! It is a story about a group of online RPG players who meet up in the game and sometimes in real life. I think all World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, and even World of Darkness players can relate to this in some ways!


Here we have a "Mega Man" comic book. It appears to follow the storyline of the original game and the 1994 television show. It appeared pretty nostalgic to me. I have played "Mega Man Legends I & II." I have heard of good things for "Mega Man X," so I will have to find a way to play that at some point. This comic book is definably for a younger audience.


I think this was appropriate since the movie just came out this weekend! This "Avengers"comic seemed interesting even though it was just a fraction of a larger story. I have yet to see the new movie, but I will try as soon as possible!


Here we have a "Justice League" comic book. It reminded me of the television shows on Cartoon Network, both Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, and even Young Justice. All three have different stories going on with the same characters, and it appears to be the same in comics. This comic has a few other stories in it of other superheroes as well. The main one appears to be too short though.


I have not seen either movie nor read the book of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." I figured that if I read this comic book, it would help me determine whether or not to get invested in the story. It appears that this is the prologue from the recent movie, and it appears there isn't much besides a lot of talking. The last page appears to promise something very interesting though.


I was surprised that one of the free comic books was a hardcover! It looks as if it should be a children's book! So far I have just glimpsed through it. It appears promising with four different stories each with a different style. The cover is of "Mouse Guard" by David Peterson, there is also "Rust" by Royden Lepp, "The Dapper Man" by Jim McCann and Janet K. Lee, and there is "Cow Boy" by Nate Cosby and Chris Eliopoulos.

No comments:

Post a Comment