Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Toonami Returns


I had heard that Toonami, the Anime section of Cartoon Network, has been brought via requests by the nostalgic fans. I know I grew up with some Toonami. It introduced me to Ruroni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Zoids, and numerous other cartoon shows both American and Japanese that were awesome. This time around, Toonami is on Saturday nights instead of weekdays. I think this is much better, because after school on weekdays Toonami could only show shows after they had been censored for a younger audience. Now they are only censored to a degree where adults can view it with blood and some foul language. Honestly, it helps most of the themes of Anime shows out there not to be censored.

I know Bleach is still being shown on Saturday nights, but I don't care as much for that series anymore. Many fans have been abandoning the manga and the show due to the inconsistent plot, the repetition of certain plot points, and how only certain characters develop while others are completely forgotten. This is an example for me what not to do with my own story.

(This image is from toonzone.net)

One of the new shows they began showing on Toonami is called "Deadman Wonderland." I was surprised at how much blood, violence, and censored swearing this show had with just the first episode. Even with all of those questionable points, it still seems like an interesting story. A young boy being framed for killing all of his classmates and he is sent to this very questionable juvenile prison called "Deadman Wonderland."

(This image is from hulu.com)

There was this show called "Casshern Sins" that was on a little bit too late for me to stay up because I had work the next day, but I have began to watch it on Netflix. It is a very interesting show of a mysterious robot who is responsible for the apocalypse for all robots, and he is constantly being targeted by robots. Casshern doesn't remember anything though, which is a common theme for many Anime protagonists. This show appears interesting because it has excellent fight scenes and some interesting themes, like robots who used to live forever suddenly being faced with immanent, unavoidable death. It makes me think.

There are other Anime being shown on Toonami now, but some of them are just repeated series.

No comments:

Post a Comment