Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Japanese Exhibit Reopened at WAM


Today I was scheduled to guard the first floor at the Worcester Art Museum, and I was surprised to find out that the Japanese gallery was reopened after over a year of being closed off. It was being used for storage space for the longest time after the only piece in it, two screens with the twelve animals of the zodiac, were taken out. It was an interesting piece and I was wondering what they would get to replace it. I was pleased to see what they got instead.


Much like the Chinese rooms, the Japanese rooms have porcelains and some wooden statues. It is interesting to see how similar cultures are similar and different when they are separated by an ocean.


The Japanese gallery now also has first edition impression prints of A Tour of Waterfalls by the famous artist Katsushika Hokusai. These prints of waterfalls are exquisite and I suggest whoever can to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment