Monday, February 20, 2012

Avatar the Last Airbender



I was watching the first episode of Nickelodeon's series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" on my Wii with Netflix. I have already watched the entire series, but I had my cousin over and I wanted to show a little bit of it to him. I know we couldn't watch even the entire first season in one day, but I wanted to at least show him the first two episodes to spark some curiosity into him.



I myself really enjoyed the series. I never watched the live action movie M. Night Shyamalan produced and I don't ever want to. I heard the reviews about the movie and I have seen a review of it. I am not too surprised it wasn't that good considering this movie tried to squeeze the entire first season into one movie. I know the series was split into three seasons, but there's twenty episodes in the first season. Sure there were a few episodes that didn't move the main plot along, though they were usually funny, but there was still too much detail to pack into one movie. Besides that, just by seeing the trailer I knew they messed up the characters' persona. They were making the series seem more serious than it should have been. I mean, it does have it's dark moments, but they cast also lets loose and there are some funny moments.



What really interested the audience was the amazing fight scenes that were animated in this show. There were all sorts of fighting styles. The main four fighting styles called "bending" were based on the four elements: Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. However, there were fighting styles that without bending and yet they proved to be very affective as well. From what I have heard, they based the fight scenes on real life fighting styles. It's just another example of what thought processes must go into animation. The style for the characters is based on Anime which I also enjoy. It makes me wonder what other shows the US will try to make based on Anime.



The cast was very enjoyable too. Many characters who were good showed flaws of inner demons at times, and even some of the villains showed some sympathetic qualities. Some turn of events for some characters are surprising, but not completely unexpected. The plot was great.

There were also various creatures throughout the show which helped add depth to this world these people lived in. Most of the creatures were a combination of two from real life. I personally would have went into more detail on some of these creatures.

This series is worth watching and I suggest it to anyone who is into action, comedy, and animation. I have seen the trailer for "The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra" and I look forward to watching it when it does come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment