Friday, February 24, 2012

Oracle Pirate

Here is another sketch of a major villain from my Zheph Skyre series. He is a pirate who can see into the past and future. His element is water, so he has power over the sea, ice, and clouds. I know it sounds cliche, but he does bring new meaning to "shiver me timbers"...


This is a rough sketch that I made. As you can see, his skeleton is showing underneath his flesh. At first I wanted to make him a complete skeleton, but the sketches didn't look right when I tried to combine his upper body with a spider for the bottom and it takes a long time to draw out even that much of a skeleton. I decided to make his flesh just transparent like water. He appears more capable than a fragile skeleton. I didn't look online for any references for spiders, snakes, deep sea fish, or anything else that I might need for this specific drawing. I began to wonder though, should I really stay with the form of a spider for his main body? In order to stick with the sea motif of his character, I decided to go with a giant crab instead.


I thought at first that I would simply put his skeleton half where the head of the crab would go, but for some reason I didn't want the claws in front. I wanted the tips of the long legs to be sharp like blades. I decided to just have his skeleton half come out on the back side of the giant crab. That way, he is less open for attack with such a wide visual range. The sketch beside the crab form is somewhat of a combination of a shark, insect, deep sea fish, and a Medusa head. This will be the more powerful, faster form of his. I like the sketch of his transformed Medusa head in this sketch more than the previous.

I'm keeping most of his background a secret for now. I was thinking of naming him Osium. There are not that many "O" names.

No comments:

Post a Comment