Thursday, February 16, 2012

Carrie Moyer Exhibit

There is a new installation of artwork in the Contemporary Gallery at the Worcester Art Museum. It features paintings done by Carrie Moyer.


Her work is obviously abstract, with odd shapes and vivid colors. I find it weird that she uses acrylic paint. My teachers from college had us paint with acrylic only because oil paint would ruin the galleries. The teachers all suggested that when we leave college to try oil paint instead, and they told us we would get better results. I have also noticed many more paintings in museums done with oil paint than any other medium. Alas, there are artists who can use anything in order to make great art. I once saw beautiful scenes of nature done entirely by Crayola crayons, and I mean a full grown man used the type children use.



I also find it funny that she uses glitter in some of her artwork. Glitter just seems like a cheap craft material, but she uses it sparingly mixed with the paint.

Check out her work at the museum. This gallery will only have her work for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment